Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Define Your World

Today someone on Facebook suggested to go to urbandictionary.com and look up your name and then post it as your status. I am not big on posting a status, but this request did make me curious about whether or not urbandictionary.com would have my name. I was unaware that urbandictionary.com is so... perverse, but I digress. We won't go into all of the disgusting meanings that are supposedly associated with my name, but here is the meaning of Desha: "Having no meaning, or substance. Moot, but towards a person, or action." And here is the meaning of Desh: "Pimp by blood, not relation." I'm not sure if I would rather be called Desha or Desh!

So of course this website prompted me to visit yet another completely credible source, wikipedia, to find out where the heck it originated and how. Here is what wikipedia says about urbandictionary.com: "Urban Dictionary is a Web-based dictionary of slang words and phrases. As of 2009, the site contains over four million definitions. Submissions are regulated by volunteer editors and rated by site visitors." Here's the history: "The site was founded in 1999 by Aaron Peckham while he was a freshman computer science major at California Polytechnic State University. One of the first definitions on the site was, "the man", referring to, "the head of the establishment put in place to 'bring us down.'”" Slogan: "Define your world."

And this just made me wonder... do we in fact define our world? Each generation accumulates slang to help define feelings, situations, technology and current events. Today's "word of the day" on urbandictionary.com is "vaguebooking." I had no idea what vaguebooking was until I read the definition, but I think we would all agree that we hate vaguebooking, vaguebookers, and the like. What is it about human nature that makes other people's lives so very interesting? When someone I barely know, who is on my friends' list only because they wanted to add to their friend count to look cool in cyber-world, vaguebooks, why do I wonder what it means? Why do I care? Someone I sat next to at lunch in high school for .5 seconds posts pictures of their vacation to Spain, and I look at them! Why? Does this make me a stalker?

And so, in true 2010 fashion, I looked up "stalker" on my new better-than-meriamwebster.com-dictionary:

It seems to be that the term 'stalker' no longer means what it used to mean--the pathological ANONYMOUS follower and tab-keeper of another person or persons (A detective who has not been hired and has no real reason to follow someone). The old definition also would say that a 'stalker' often has an imaginary connection with the stalkee. HOWEVER, common usage of the term, along with the term 'creepy', has come to be used as a defense mechanism for anyone seeking justification for not being attracted socially or physically to someone else. This term is nearly as overdiagnosed as ADHD is in children. Any women who think an undesirable man might be interested in her will almost always automatically label him a stalker. Note: Far too many idiots think they're more important than they really are. Real stalkers seek out beautiful, interesting, and often famous members of the attractive gender. 90 percent of the people who use the term couldn't get a real stalker to save their lives.
A hot girl who follows you around and shows up at your door is a friend. An ugly girl who follows you around and shows up at your door is now, according to most, a stalker. A hot guy who gives you flowers is a romantic. An ugly guy who gives you flowers is a stalker.


Ahh, so I guess I am not a stalker. My girlfriends and I have often mused over whether or not we have been stalkers in the past (almost definitely, I have been by the loose and casual standards of today's definition). But at least I can say I have never been a swamp donkey. I was under the impression that this term originated at UF circa 2003, but apparently it is of British origin, and urbandictionary.com can tell you all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I LOVE it:)

followers.