Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Peacocks and Bunnies

It seems as though the farm at la casa de La Mujer is yet another source for crafty inspiration! I used to think that peacocks were delightful animals, until I heard the earth-shattering noises they make at all hours of the night and day. The sound is reminiscent of that guttural "waaaaa" a cat makes when it is ready to fight. Only this noise seems to come from a 500-pound cat, one that I would not want to meet in a dark alley. Until recently, my image of the lovely peacock had been shattered. It was not until I happened upon La Mujer's GIANT peacock feather collection that my faith in those blue-green feathers was restored. Apparently the male just lost his feathers, and a large vase full of them was sitting right next to the back door.

"Raph," I said quietly, "what is she going to do with all of those feathers?"

He looked up briefly from the computer at me and said, "Oh, I don't know, family usually comes by and takes them." I didn't want to ask, but he must have sensed the desperation in my puppy-dog-eyed look, and he turned and faced me again. "Do you want some?"

"I could use them for my crafts!" I said, my eyes lighting up. "But… you know… if she's going to use them, I don't-"

"Let's go get you some," he said. He attempted to give me the whole bunch, but I couldn't bear to strip La Mujer of the only feathers she'd have for the rest of the year. I did, however, get a nice little bundle. And that was that. That is the story of how I inherited a couple dozen home-grown peacock feathers. And my are they lovely! I hope to make some unique little pieces for your enjoyment, so stay tuned!

I did a bit of research to see what I could dig up regarding peacock feather jewelry, and let me tell you that the majority of what's out there is pretty standard. So, my mission will be to create some pieces that are unlike any you've seen before. Wish me luck. In the meantime, here are some photos from my collection:







And, on an almost completely unrelated note, here are some photos I took Sunday of the sweet little bunny that Raph's mom (Ana) has befriended. He has a double-chin, which is pretty awesome. He also will eat a carrot right out of your hand, but no petting. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I LOVE it:)

followers.