Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The naming of the shop.

I can’t say that I thought long and hard about what to name my shop. Some things just… come to me. Let me tell you a little bit about my name (I know I posted a bit about this a while back, but today I feel re-inspired (is that a word?). You see, my dad is David Coil and his dad is Cecil Coil and his mom was Desha Coil. Yep, just like me!


I’ve heard that she wasn’t the sweetest of old ladies, nor was she a fantastic cook (at least I can blame the name!), but she was a Coil, and my mom liked the sound of it. So into this world I came on December 23rd 1983, a brand new Desha.

Now folks, I’ve done a little calculation for you, so that you can understand the implications of naming your child something that is a bit … off-kilter.

I have estimated that I spend roughly five minutes of each day explaining my name to various individuals. The clerk at Publix, the lady at Subway, someone from church, a client, and the list goes on.

That’s 1,825 minutes a year. If I live to be 80, that’s 146,000 minutes in a lifetime. That comes out to be roughly 2,433 hours or 101 days! I will spend 101 days of my life explaining my name. I shudder at the thought.

Usually, my conversations with clients go something like this:

Me: Thank you for calling BB&T at the Naples Office, this is Desha Coil, how may I help you?
Client: Who?
Me: This is Desha Coil, how may I help you?
Client: Sasha? Besha?
Me: No, Desha, with a D.
Client: With a B?
Me: No, with a D as in David.
Client: Oh, Desha! Now spell that for me.
Me: D-E-S-H-A
Client: Okay, Desha, wow, now that is unusual.
Me: (trying to convey a tone of patience) Yes, yes it is.
Client: Where are you from?
Me: I’m from Tampa. My name was my great-grandmother’s.
Client: Oh, and where was she from?
Me: I’m not sure.
Client: Oh, it sounds like it’s from [insert country of choice].
Me: Yes, it sure does.

This is a delight.  If I were a slightly less pleasant person, it would go like this instead:

Me: Thank you for calling BB&T at the Naples Office, this is Desha Coil, how may I help you?
Client: Who?
Me: This is Desha Coil, how may I help you?
Client: Sasha? Besha?
Me: Sarah.
Client: Oh, okay Sarah, I need you to look up my account…

Voila! So simple! So painless! But alas, I cannot lie.

I did actually meet a man named Desha recently- his name is pronounced “de-shay” and he is French. Perhaps I can start telling people I’m French.

I digress. This post was intended to be about the naming of my shop. My reasoning in naming the shop “desha” is that, if people take half as much interest in the shop name as they do in my personal name, I think I smell a recipe for success!

I did, however, run into a recent problem when creating the shop’s Facebook page. I was going to name it desha, which would make sense. However, when I began to send out messages to friends, I realized they would read: “Desha Coil suggests you like desha.” I thought that people might be a little off-put by the idea of a fan-page for me, so I changed the FB page to Desha. The Store.

But, you know, maybe someday I will have my own fan page! Until then, visit desha (the store.  I don't refer to my self in third person) at:

www.deshadiane.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/deshathestore
And try to name your children something simple, okay?

2 comments:

  1. As a reminder... I do remember the one night you were called 'Sarah'. Quite amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, that is what Raph said too! I forgot that was my go-to name, it's a subconscious thing...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I LOVE it:)

followers.