Sunday, February 12, 2012

faux brick patio.

I did this to my patio floor about three months ago, but I'm scatter-brained and forgot to share it with you all! I also couldn't ever seem to get a photo that I was pleased with, but here's my best shot:


This project only took me a few hours over the course of a couple days, although I will shamefully admit that I still have a few finishing touches to add, like painting the bottom of the walls where I accidentally got gray paint on the white, and touching up the areas in the old aluminum screen cage that have become worn and patchy over time. We're also planning to update our patio furniture, but we have tentative pool plans, so this flooring was an inexpensive, quick fix (it was hunter green before. Yikes!).

So, here are the materials I used:

  • Paint roller (all things Purdy have been recommended to me by professional painters)
  • An extension for your paint roller (you can use a broom stick if you don't want to buy/ rent a pole, and a broom stick is much lighter!)
  • Your base paint (mine was the light gray, and I chose a semi-gloss for easy cleaning. It did take a while to not feel sticky though.)
  • Your brick paint (mine was the dark gray. The old owner of our house left some in the garage, lucky us!)
  • Two or three large rectangular sponges (you can find these at your local hardware store. You can pick whatever size you like, but the rectangular with the rounded edges made for more of a "paver" type look.
  • Two paint trays
  • Scissors
I started obviously by cleaning the area and removing all furniture. Then:

1. Using my roller and extension, I painted the floor my base color. I only did one coat, as I knew I would be covering most of it with my "bricks."
2. Starting in one corner, I began my brick pattern in columns. My first column ran right along the edge of my floor, next to the screen cage. I started by pouring my brick paint into a tray and dipping one side of my sponge into the paint. Tip: better to have too little paint than too much! You can always re-sponge a spot to add more if needed. If your sponge is too saturated, it will look very fake. You are going for imperfection, just like real bricks and pavers.
3. It is obvious that you will have some space at the end of your first column. Leave it for now. I waited until the end and then used my other sponges to cut the sizes that I needed to fill in the space. On your second column, start you first brick halfway down from the first column's starting brick. Like so:

You can see at the end of each column (top right), where I left space to go back and add a half-brick.
 4. Continue your columns in the same manner. Make sure you can get out of your space once you finish! We don't want you to be trapped while your paint dries! Stop and look at your progress from a few steps back. You'll want to make sure you don't start to slant your columns. If you do, just adjust your next column by starting it a few inches out and gradually working in to create a straight line.

When I was finished with all of my columns, my space looked like this. See how the edges aren't done?
5. This is when I measured by empty spaces at the end of my columns, and cut my unused sponges to match.

Here are some of the sizes I used.
6. Once your paint is dry and you can reach them, fill in your empty spaces. I even have a ledge in front of the french doors that lead out to the patio, and I applied the same process to the ledge to make it look "bricked" as well.

7. And voila! Enjoy your new faux-brick patio floor! We love ours:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I LOVE it:)

followers.